Thursday, April 19, 2012

Left vs Right Brain

Note:  Be sure to read below this graphic for my thoughts on how this pertains to my son with Asperger's Syndrome (which is on the Autism Spectrum).

Are You Left or Right Brain?
Via: Online College Advice

"Buddy" and I are definitely Right Brained and my hubby is definitely Left Brained.  The funny thing is that I am really into making lists and my hubby definitely is not and it should be the other way around.  At least we complete each other well!  I do have a tendency, however, to go through spurts of operating more with the left side of my brain.  As I reflect on it, this happens mostly when I have a lot to accomplish or am approaching a deadline I am not sure I can easily meet.  Once the smoke clears, I go back into my unique way of doing everything.

Regarding Buddy being Right Brained and on the Autism Spectrum (he has Asperger's Syndrome), does that even make "sense"?  I had to really think about this one.  Although I know deep-down that people on the spectrum are as different as any other group of people, one would think that people firmly on the spectrum would tend to be more Left Brained.  

Yes, my son needs many things very ordered and his environment cannot be too noisy or chaotic.  He has always loved having everything lined up perfectly, watches several walk-throughs for video games in order to know exactly what he should do (and in what order), and loves to teach others exactly how to draw specific things by showing which steps "should be" taken.

However,  he is also SO creative, artistic, loves to be impulsive, enjoys learning with music in the background, and learns best with hands-on and interactive methods.  

All I can say is that this is even more proof that you cannot lump people on the spectrum all into one tidy, little stereotype!

No comments:

Post a Comment