Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pumpkin Spiced Mini Eclairs

1 pkg. (3.4 oz) vanilla flavor instant pudding
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup milk
1 cup thawed whipped topping
3 doz. glazed vanilla doughnut holes
1/4 cup chocolate syrup (I used the Hershey's Special Dark)



1.  Beat pudding mix, spice, and milk with a whisk in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed.  Stir in the cool whip.

2.  If your doughnut holes are completely round, you can cut a thin slice off of each doughnut hole.  Mine from a local bakery had a flattened bottom already, so I could skip this step.  In the original recipe, it says to cut it off and discard.....why not just say, " cut off and eat"...lol

3.  Cut doughnuts in half; fill with pudding mixture.  Press each together gently to secure.

4.  Place, flat-side down, on a small plate.  Drizzle with chocolate syrup. 

5.  Then move to your serving plate and continue with the remaining ingredients.

____________________________________________________________

My tips:
  • I did these in an assembly line by small groups.  I found that this made it quick and easy. 
  • I bought my doughnut holes the day before creating these goodies.  I had to gently cut the doughnut holes in order to prevent a lot of glaze from falling off.  Not a problem or much slower, just want to not rush.  If you used them the same day they are baked, I'm thinking that you may need to be more careful to not squish the doughnut holes as you cut.  So, the verdict is still out on which is better to use...day-old or fresh-baked.
  • I found that a butter knife made a great tool for the filling with the pudding mixture.  
  • After you finish preparing the filling, you want to get all of the doughnut holes filled as soon as you can.  It tends to thicken as it sits, so not necessarily good to make while you keep running in the other room to watch the Thanksgiving Parade... lol... I'm just saying...
  • For the drizzling with chocolate, I used the smooth end of one of my Tupperware orange peelers.  
  • I also didn't measure out the syrup like in the ingredient list. I just put some in a small bowl to (generously) dip my peeler end in.  Just enough to have a small puddle to dip from.  As the puddle got too low, I just squirted more in my bowl.  This worked great. 
  • The original recipe intends for you to drizzle the chocolate on the serving plate.  I found it much less stressful to drizzle on a small plate and then transfer them to the serving dish.
  • You can find the Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Syrup that I used with the other ice cream toppings and syrups in most grocery stores.
  • To transport these to our Thanksgiving Dinner destination, I stuck a few toothpicks in a few of the little eclairs around the edges of the plate and one in the center.  I then could use my cling-wrap worrying free to cover.

 ____________________________________________________________

I originally got this recipe from http://www.kraftbrands.com/jello/.  They called them "Pumpkin-Spiced Mini 'Cake' Balls".  Besides changing the name, I changed up the directions a bit (making it even more user-friendly, I believe). 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment